EVERSON MUSEUM OF ART ANNOUNCES CALL FOR ARTISTS
SYRACUSE, NY (February 24, 2016) – The Everson Museum of Art is pleased to announce its 2016 Design Challenge, Creative Watercraft, inspired by the Museum’s forthcoming exhibition of artist Marie Lorenz’s work entitled Tide and Current Taxi. This design challenge invites artists, children, teens, schools and groups to create innovative and original model boats or water vessels. Finalists will be exhibited at the Everson Museum of Art June 4 – August 4, 2016 and have an opportunity to launch their boats following the exhibition.
Entrants are encouraged to think big, be imaginative and experiment with unusual materials. Participants can motorize their boats, power them with solar panels or the wind, or try something totally unexpected. The objective is to create a boat that is well crafted, creative and can float.
“After the success of our LEGO Design Challenge last year, we were excited to offer another opportunity for the community to get involved, be inspired and stretch their imaginations,” said Kimberly Griffiths, Everson Museum Curator of Education.
- Deadline for submissions: May 2, 2016
- Boats should be constructed of environmentally friendly materials and must not exceed 30”W x 30”L x 30”H. Materials not permitted include glitter, balloons and live plant material. All entries must be original designs (pre-made kits will not be permitted).
- Participants may enter in the following categories: Children (12 and under), Teens (ages 13-17), Adults (ages 18 and older), Groups and Families (such as a school class, co-workers or family).
- Entry Fee: $10 Members, $15 Non-Members, limit one entry per individual or group
- Anyone is eligible to participate in the 2016 Design Challenge, but all finalists must be able to transport their designs to and from the Everson Museum on designated dates (TBD).
- A panel of professionals, using the following criteria, will select designs for the exhibition: Creative design, high level of craftsmanship
- Pre-registration is required for the challenge. Complete the 2016 Design Challenge application. Submit the application along with one photograph of your design and a maximum 100-word description. The photo should not exceed 2MB. Send your photo, description and completed application form to .
About Tide and Current Taxi
The 2016 Design Challenge is inspired by the artist Marie Lorenz and her forthcoming journey along the Erie Canal and subsequent exhibition at the Everson Museum of Art in fall 2016. Beginning in summer 2016, Lorenz will travel by water from Buffalo to Albany via the Erie Canal and continue along the Hudson River to New York City, inviting passengers to accompany her daily. The project culminates with a multi-media exhibition and series of public programs at the Everson in fall 2016, bringing together newly-created objects as well as research, documentation and materials from the voyage.
ABOUT THE EVERSON
The Everson Museum of Art, whose roots extend to 1897, is internationally recognized for its extensive and significant collection of ceramics, its pioneering art video collection and its distinctive structural design by the noted architect I.M. Pei.
The Everson is open to the public Wednesday – Friday and Sunday Noon – 5.00pm, Thursday Noon – 8.00pm, and Saturday 10.00am – 5.00pm. For more information, please visit www.everson.org or follow us on social media.
The operation of the Everson Museum of Art is made possible with funding from the Dorothy and Marshall M. Reisman Foundation, the County of Onondaga administered by the CNY Arts, The Trust for Cultural Resources of Onondaga County, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, the Everson Board of Trustees and Everson Members’ Council.